Recipe for Simple Vanilla ButtercreamSeptember 8, 2011
- 1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening (I use Hi-ratio shortening)
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter -softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (you can use the clear vanilla extract if you want your icing totally white)
- 2 tablespoons milk or water
- 4 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar (approximately 1 lb.)
- 1 tbsp meringue powder
- dash of salt (so the icing is not so sweet)
About 3 cups of icing.
In large bowl, cream shortening and butter with electric mixer. Add vanilla.
In a separate bowl mix sugar, meringue powder and salt together.
Gradually add sugar mixture to the creamed mixture, 1/4 cup at a time, beating well on medium speed. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often. The frosting might start getting stiff so add your milk or water to give it your desired consistency.(don’t put a strain on your mixer) Towards the end, beat at a lower speed until light and fluffy. Keep bowl covered with a damp cloth until ready to use.
For best results, keep icing bowl in refrigerator when not in use. Refrigerated in an airtight container, this icing can be stored 2 weeks. Rewhip before using.
For thin (spreading) consistency icing, add additional 2 tablespoons water or milk.
TO MAKE THIS CHOCOLATE BUTTERCREAM just add these ingredients…..
3/4 unsweetened cocoa powder
3 tbsp or more of milk or water
Adding the cocoa powder really dries the buttercream mixture so you need to alternate the extra milk or water with the cocoa when adding it. Mix it until you get the perfect consistency.
THE CHOCOLATE BUTTERCREAM ICING is not as sweet as the vanilla buttercream because of the unsweetened cocoa powder!!!
i hope this helps you guys, Enjoy!!